Friday, January 1, 2010

First Entry

I've decided to start a sewing blog to keep up with my projects and my sewing skills. My mother, both grandmothers and aunts all sewed- actually, my grandmother even was a seamstress and owned a store where my aunt worked. I was never really into sewing when I was a kid, other than the occasional pillow or something, but I would watch my mother sew clothes for herself, me and my dolls. I don't remember not knowing how to handstitch and sew on buttons, but I never really made anything. I vaguely remember making some pants when I was a teenager, but I got serious about wanting to sew when I was about 25. My mother gave me her old machine and taught me the basics of reading a pattern. I made some more pants and a few other projects, like bags and stuff. A year or 2 later, I invested in a new sewing machine. I still stuck to pants and skirts because I was afraid of sleeves. Then, my mother passed away and I didn't sew for a few years.

Now that my grandmother, aunt and mother are all gone, I'm on my own. I really need a sewing support system to help me be a better sewer and to share ideas with.

Well, I'm back to sewing again. I like to sew- I like being creative, and having one-of-a-kind pieces. Patterns are like puzzles to me, so I like figuring them out, even though it sometimes takes me a while to understand what I have to do. I made some sleeveless dresses and tops over the summer when I was pregnant, because I hated maternity clothes. Now, I want to make tops and dresses and pants that really fit me well.

My sewing goals:

1. Take a class or meet other sewers to learn and improve techniques
2. Learn how to make clothes that fit my body like a glove
3. Learn and master my serger (I inherited from my mom, but have never used it)
4. Learn how to alter patterns to make things more unique

No comments: