Monday, March 7, 2011

Simplicity 2700

I finally finished the pants that I started about 2 months ago. When I first bought the pattern, I thought the hardest part for me would be the pockets. As soon as I figured out the instructions, I pretty much breezed through them. The thing that really got me stuck was the zipper. Every time I attempted to do the zipper, I got confused and put the pants down. I read tutorials online; I read books; I read the instructions out loud repeatedly. No luck. This is the reason these pants took me 2 months!


Pattern Description:
Misses & Miss Petite Pants: Amazing Fit Collection

Pattern Sizing:
6-14. I made a size 10 curvy

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, pretty much.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were very clear, but I never sewed a zipper using this method. I finally forced myself to sit down and figure it out, and it really wasn't too bad. I think the instructions for choosing which "fit" was a little strange. My measurements did not match up on the chart at all and I'm not sure why. I chose the Curvy fit, which I think was correct, but maybe I should have gone a size down.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the pockets. I usually avoid pockets because I think they bulk up that area of my body. However, these pockets laid flat, and I feel comfortable actually putting something in them! over again.

Fabric Used:
Black wool for the pants, and a brown lining I had in the house

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I shortened the legs considerably since I'm a little over 5 feet. I wanted them shorter than my regular slacks because I plan to only wear flat shoes with these pants. I followed the directions, but I probably should have made some more alterations in the crotch.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I definitely will sew it again. The crotch area was too big, so I want to perfect it. I'm going to use some of my favorite pants as a guide. I also think this is a great pattern for some linen slacks for the summer. I wore these pants to work last week and got a couple of compliments on them, but I could see the flaws. (My camera is broken- I'll upload some pics as soon as I get a new one!) I would also like to try these with a lining. I might also add belt loops.

Conclusion:
A pretty good pattern, although there are a couple of other pant patterns I like a little better.

No comments: