Monday, March 7, 2011

McCalls 5752

I've had this pattern for a while, but for some reason, thought it would be difficult, so I've been putting it off. I finally faced my fears and tackled it this past weekend. It really wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I actually finished it in a day! (will add some photos when I get a new camera.)

Pattern Description:
Misses gathered dress with wrapped bodice

Pattern Sizing:
8-14. I made a size 12 of the short sleeved dress without the drapes from the waist.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were very clear to me. I was planning on making the dress with the drapes but changed my mind at the last minute.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love this dress style. It looks like a wrap dress, but it isn't. I think that's what really attracted me to the drapes. Then I thought, if it's not a real wrap, what do I need the drapes for? Plus, I like how the model is wearing a pin in the pattern photo. I think this dress is very flattering to women of different sizes and shapes.

Fabric Used:
A printed rayon knit

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I didn't use the midriff lining. I didn't think I needed it. I was right- I think it would have been too bulky for my shape.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I definitely will sew it again. I'm a little top heavy, so I will continue to cut the size 12 for the top, but a 10 for the midriff and skirt. I had to take in the waist a lot. I'm not crazy about the print, so I want to make a couple of these in solid colors. I would also like to make this dress using my serger (that I have never used before!)

No comments: