Wednesday, July 6, 2011

McCalls 6118 - Maternity Version

Pattern Description:
Above, mid-knee length, one shouldered tunics. I chose the sleeveless version. I had made this for myself about 6 months ago. My girlfriend saw it and last month she asked me to make her the dress for her baby shower.

Pattern Sizing:
I made size 12 since it was for a growing body, but could have gone a size smaller. It's pretty generous in sizing.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
It was so easy. When I made it for myself, it only took a day. This dress took a little more time since it was: 1) for someone else, 2) for a pregnant person, and 3) for a pregnant person who lives 500 miles away. I measured her once, but then I had her husband measure her back and armholes and call me with it to make sure the dress would fit.

Fabric Used:
A lime green slippery polyester of some kind. Her shower theme was black, white and lime green.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Of course I gave it more room in the front for her belly. I also made the front a little longer than the back because of her belly. I made her belt longer to make sure it would wrap around her waist.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I probably will sew it again for me. I want to try the one with sleeves, maybe.

Conclusion:
She loved it! I think I made it a little too short, so I would extend the length next time, especially if I'm making it in a maternity dress. This is a really great pattern that was super easy. Depending on the fabric and color choice, it could be a casual or dressy dress.

1 comment:

Sewtellme said...

Sexy mama! Looks great.